Thursday, January 10, 2013

Chicken Thoughts

Red Ranger
Recently I have been going back and forth on raising chickens on rented land. I mean... Chickens are delicious and fresh eggs are amazing... so why have I been going back and forth on them?

The reasons are simple actually 1) I don't have a place to butcher, or a chicken plucker to clean the meat birds 2) I need to figure out a shelter for the egg layers.

If I owned my own farm there would be more options to solve some of these problems. As it is, I see some hurdles I would need to overcome.

But really... How many things can come up that I can't find a solution to? I mean, Is it possible I can butcher on the farm I'm renting from? Could I butcher at my house (Give the neighborhood kids a lesson on where their food comes from)? Take it to a processor (I'd rather not)? To every problem there is a solution.

Barred Rock
As for the shelter situation... There is a lot I can accomplish with 2x2's and some chicken wire. I can throw some wheels on the heavy side and a rope or something to pull on the other side. I think I can actually make something work.

I do have a confession though... I have never eaten farm fresh chicken...

1 comment:

  1. For your laying "house" have you considered building a kind of wooden "trailer" that provides access but also allows you to move it at night when birds rest to give them fresh pasture? There are options out there and this system has been very profitable for some smaller operators.

    ReplyDelete