Friday, January 4, 2013

Top Five Pigs

Our current farming system holds up confinement pigs as a norm and something to be set as a standard across the world. These animals are bred for only two qualities; growth rate and litter size. The living conditions are so poor, pharmaceuticals are required to keep the animals alive.

I have something completely different in mind when I say "I want to raise pigs". I believe God created pigs to be pigs. They are meant to roam pastures and forests; eating acorns, grubs, berries, grasses and roots. They'll live in an element where there is no need for antibiotics and large houses.

Here are my top five choices. For what I would love to raise/breed, in no particular order

All of these breeds thrive outdoors and all of them taste amazing. These are all heritage breeds, which means they are a rare high quality pigs you will not find in your local grocery store. The three most important qualities for them to have are taste, temperament and foraging abilities. I have listed their conservation status next to their name. In raising these breeds we can use the highest quality piglets to grow our own breeding stock or sell to other breeders to continue promoting the heritage breed, thus aiding the endangerment status. 

Berkshire (critical)

Country of origin: England
Meat: Juicy, flavorful and tender. Pink hues with heavy marbling. Its higher fat content allow it to cook nicely with high heat. 


Red Wattle (critical)
Country of origin: USA
Meat: The culinary world fell in love with the quality of this pig. Winning taste test after taste test the Red wattle is highly sought after because of its juicy, well marbled and lean meat. I cannot wait to give this pork a try.
Size: typically 600-800 pounds but can reach 1500 pounds. (butcher weight typically 250lbs)


Tamworth (threatened)
Country of origin:United Kingdom
Meat: Traditionally known as the bacon pig (need I say more?)
Size: About 440lbs - 820lbs Fully Grown. (butcher weight typically 250lbs)


Large black (critical)
Country of origin: Great Britain
Meat: Lean and flavorful, this meat will be cooked best on a lower heat setting.
Size: Fully grown from 660-800lbs. (butcher weight typically 250lbs)


Hereford (watch)
Country of origin:USA
Meat: Flavorful and light on fat. 
Size: 600-800lbs (butcher weight typically 250lbs)


No matter which one I decide to go with when I start breeding pigs, any of them will be sure to have tasty meat, good temperaments and good foraging abilities.

If I had to pick one right now it would have to be the Red Wattles because it has the most impressive reviews.

I think we are going to wait a few years before we start breeding, in the mean time my plans are to buy piglets that have just been weaned from their mothers from other local farmers who would currently have these types of breeds available.


1 comment:

  1. Did you ever get a start with the Herford Pigs? I am looking for some weaners

    ReplyDelete