Monday, January 14, 2013

An Excellent Wife


An Excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life. Proverbs 31:10-12

There are times when I can take the support of my wife for granted. I can forget the love she continually shows, even through the toughest times.

Over the past two and a half years I truly believe I have found my calling, to start a farm. The only person to show me unwavering support is my gorgeous wife, and lets face it, her opinion is the only one that reaches the depths of... well... however deep my depths are.

For Christmas she got me the book "Quitter" by Jon Acuff. The whole premise of the book is, how to move into your dream job while working your day job. As the sole financial provider for our family I don't have the option of "going all in". I will never risk the financial well-being of our family, especially when there is a better way.

For my birthday, about a week later, my wife got me the book "You Can Farm" by Joel Salatin. I first read this book not too long after our honeymoon. There is so much practical information and processes that really gives me confidence in our coming adventures.

As a child and a young adult, I was like any other kid, trying to find my thing. Trying to find my purpose or my calling. The environment I was in was not really conducive to encouragement. There were always the "insurmountable obstacles that I was just not good enough to get over" brought to my attention. Teachers would tell me I "wouldn't amount to anything". Influential adults told me "you'll never find greatness", and to just try to make it. For 27 years I heard this in many different forms.

When I started dating my now wife, I couldn't believe how encouraging and positive she was. It's almost been three years since we said I do and I have never known anyone believe in me the way she does. Giving me these two books are just a small way of her saying "I know your dream of being a full-time farmer is within reach. Go after it."

There are truly days I cannot thank God enough for a Proverbs 31 woman.


1 comment:

  1. That was a lovely, inspiring post. I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete